- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Peel the sweet potato and slice into thin discs (approx. 1/2cm wide). Parboil* until slightly soft (approx. 5mins).
- Cut the leaves off the beetroots and set aside.
- Peel the beetroots: slice two into thin discs for the ratatouille, and one into 1cm chunks for the salad. Parboil until slightly soft (approx. 10 mins)
- While the vegetables are boiling, heat oil in a frying pan.
- Finely dice the onion then fry until soft (approx. 5 mins).
- Add the tomato paste, a large tsp of rosemary, a tsp of thyme, 2 basil leaves, and salt and pepper. Fry for a few minutes so that the flavours mix into the sauce.
- Slice aubergine and tomatoes into thin discs.
- Line an oven dish with the tomato sauce. Arrange the sweet potato, beetroot, aubergine and tomato discs in alternating order in upright lines across the dish
- Put in oven and bake until vegetables are cooked and just turning crispy (approx. 30 mins)
- Meanwhile, rinse and roughly chop the beetroot leaves, including the red stems.
- In the same pan used to make the sauce, heat a little more oil and fry the rest of the onion and the beetroot leaves until soft. Add a few more sprigs of rosemary and thyme
- Add the beetroot chunks to the pan and mix the salad together.
- Take the salad mix out of the pan and leave to cool.
- Mix with a light vinaigrette
- Take the oven dish out of the pan and arrange the layered vegetables on a plate. Add the salad on the side and sprinkle a pinch of beansprout
As Mystery Box Winners Claire & Alicia would say: Eet smakelijk!
*parboil: partly cook by means of boiling
If you have any questions about this recipe or need some help, we welcome you to send us a message on our instagram @erasmusfoodlab